Territorial jurisdiction : New South Wales and South Australia.
The work looked after by CGI, Sydney relates to commercial & trade work, consular related activities, press, culture and information.
The Consulate General of India was established in Sydney in 1941 as the Trade Commission of India.
The First Trade Commissioner was Mr. R.R. Saxena of the Imperial Customs Service and was appointed to this Post in January 30, 1941.
In 1948 Mr. G. Parameswaran Pillai, became Independent India's first Trade Commissioner to Australia and New Zealand.
In April 1968, the name of the Trade Commission was changed to the Deputy High Commission of India.
In January 1973, the Deputy High Commission of India acquired its present name of Consulate General of India, Sydney.
Available records indicate that the Trade Commission was first housed at 39 Martin Place, Sydney.
The Consulate General of India, from available records, was located at ‘Caltex House’ in Kent Street, Sydney, from where it moved in the mid-80’s to Walker Street in North Sydney.
Since January 1994 the Consulate General is located at ‘Bligh Chambers’ 25, Bligh Street in the Sydney CBD.