OVERSEAS CITIZENSHIP OF INDIA (OCI)
Please read the Salient Features below carefully as to when transfer of U Visa is mandatory on a new passport before visiting India:-
Photographs should be in color and strictly as per the specifications below.
Ensure no distracting shadows on the face or background.
- Taken against a light colored (WHITE/OFFWHITE Preferred) background so that features are distinguishable and in contrast against the background. Printed on photographic paper.
- Frame Subject with Full Face, Front view, Eyes open.
- Should show full face (without sunglasses and normally without a hat or cap). Head coverings are not permitted except for Religious reasons, but the facial features from bottom of chin to top of forehead and both edges of the face must be clearly shown.
- The face should be in the middle of the frame.
- Provide recent photographs (not more than 6 months old)
- Ensure no distracting shadows on the face or background. Un-mounted - 2 inch x 2 inch in size. - VISA applications only. (One copy for each application in most visa cases. Exceptions apply-please see details for same under your selected visa type)
Un-mounted - 2 inch x 2 inch in size. OCI Applications. One copy for each Application.
1. In case of issuance of new passport
OCI registration certificate and visa carries the passport number of the registered OCI. Accordingly, each time a new passport is issued to an OCI holder, it has to be captured on the registration certificate and visa. This would require re-issuance of OCI registration certificate and visa each time a new passport is issued. However, as the major benefit of OCI Scheme is life long visa to visit India, problems arise each time a new passport is issued. In some countries old passports are not returned. Further, in many countries, the validity of passport is for 5 years. To obviate these difficulties, the following scheme has been incorporated:
- OCI registration certificate and visa have got to be re-issued by availing this service, each time a new passport is issued up to the completion of 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of age.
- Re-issuance of OCI registration certificate and visa is not mandatory, each time a new passport is issued between 21-50 years of age. However, if the applicant wishes to avail this service, he/she can apply for the same.
2. In case of change of personal particulars viz. nationality etc.,
Filing of wrong personal particulars while submitting online application
In case of change of personal particulars/wrong filing of personal particulars while submitting online application, OCI holders may seek re-issuance of OCI documents by availing the services. They have to enclose the documentary evidence for the change of the personal particulars. However, in case of change of photograph without the change of the passport, personal interview shall be taken by the Competent Authority before the grant of the service. A fee of A$ 27 ($25 + $2(ICWF)) will be charged for the service.
3. In case of Loss/damage of OCI registration certificate/visa.
In case of loss of OCI documents, a copy of the complaint filed with the Police authorities shall be enclosed. Personal interview of the applicant shall be taken by the Competent Authority before the grant of the service. A fee of A$ 102 ($100 + $2(ICWF)) will be charged for the service.
4. In case of filling of wrong personal particulars while submitting online application viz. name, father's name, date of birth etc.,
In case of filling of wrong personal particulars while submitting the online application, OCI holders may seek re-issuance of OCI documents by availing the services with appropriate fees A$ 27 ($25 + $2(ICWF)). They have to enclose the documentary evidence for the correct personal particulars.
5. In case of mistakes committed by the Indian Mission/Post/Office while entering the personal particulars.
Since the mistake is committed by the Indian Mission/Post/Office, no fee shall be charged for re-issuance of OCI documents.
6. In case of change of address/occupation
In case of change of address/occupation, new set of OCI documents will not be issued. The applicant may take a print out of the new address/occupation after online submission and keep for record purposes. No fee shall be charged from the applicant
PROCEDURE TO BE FOLLOWED BY THE APPLICANT
A software module has been developed by NIC named as OCI Miscellaneous Services. The public interface for this has been hosted on MHA’s website: www.mha.nic.in/oci/oci-main.htm. The procedure to be followed by the applicant is as under:
(1) After accessing the OCI Miscellaneous Services and going through the Guidelines and Instructions for filing the application form, the applicant has to fill in at least one of the following data fields:
(i) U-Visa number
(ii) OCI Registration number
(iii) OCI File number
(2) Thereafter, the applicant has to fill in all the following fields:
(i) Current Passport number
(ii) Date of birth
(iii) Place of birth
(iv) Mother’s name
The applicant would be able to proceed ahead and seek the particular service(s) only if, the above data (except 2 (i) above) matches with the OCI database. This feature has been incorporated as a security measure so that the scheme is not misused.
(3) The applicant thereafter has to select any one or many of the following services:
(i) Change of Passport particulars
(ii) Change of Personal particulars
(iii) Loss/damage of OCI certificate/visa
(4) After selection of the service(s) to be availed, a Registration Form will appear having only the relevant fields, which need to be entered as per the services (s) sought. The applicant has to fill in all the relevant fields afresh online. The reasons for availing the services shall also be filled by the applicant.
(5) Upon submission of the Registration Form, a hard copy of the
application with Reference number along with the instructions for filling application form shall be
printed. The applicant has to sign the application form, paste the photograph (2"X 2") and append his
signature in the box provided and submit one copy of the application form along with the relevant
enclosures and fee as mentioned in the instructions. The application can be submitted to the High
Commission of India for applicants ordinarily residing in A.C.T., QUEENSLAND,
irrespective of the fact whether the same has issued the original OCI documents or not. Each
applicant shall submit separate application form.
(i) Copy of OCI registration certificate and visa
(a) In case of issuance of new passport
Copy of U-visa pasted on the old passport along with copy of registration certificate has to be enclosed. If the old passport is not returned by the concerned authorities while issuing new passport and copy of the U-visa had not been taken prior to the surrender of old passport, they may not be enclosed. A copy of new passport also to be enclosed.
(b) In case of loss of OCI Registration Certificate and/or Visa
Copy of the complaint lodged with Police authorities and copy of visa and registration certificate to be enclosed. If a copy of the registration certificate and/or visa was not taken prior to the loss, they may not be enclosed. The application may be submitted only after personal interview with the competent authority.
(c)In case of change of personal particulars (due to change by the applicant or wrong filling of particulars by the applicant or (IP&VSC)
Copy of the document (s) relevant for affecting the requisite changes viz. Nationality Certificate in case of change of nationality etc to be enclosed.